The displayed fares were last found on: Thu | 16 January 11:25 AM(EST) . Fares are round trip.
The table has return flights to San Diego, California USA with popular carriers. Due to frequent airfare update by airlines, Cheapfaremart doesn’t offer guarantee on you getting the fare, unless ticketed successfully. The airline ticket cost you see here is inclusive of base fare, fuel surcharges, airline/airport taxes and our service fee. Read our Terms and Conditions to know more.
Cheapest Month to fly to San Diego
Looking for cheap flights to San Diego USA? Observe these San Diego airfare trends from all 6 important US time zones: (Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time (HAT), Alaska Standard Time (AKT), Pacific Standard Time (PST), Mountain Standard Time (MST), Central Standard Time (CST), and Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Honolulu to San Diego (HNL to SAN)
- Cheapest Airline Tickets from Honolulu: Between November and January
- Costliest Airline Tickets from Honolulu: December, followed by June
- Moderate Airline Tickets from Honolulu: March, April, August, September, October
- Airfare (USD)
Alaska to San Diego (ANC to SAN)
- Cheapest Air Tickets from Alaska: Between June and September
- Costliest Air Tickets from Alaska: Between November and April
- Average Air Ticket Cost from Alaska: May
- Airfare (USD)
Los Angeles to San Diego (LAX to SAN)
- Cheapest Air Tickets from Los Angeles: January to September
- Costliest Air Tickets from Alaska: November to December
- Airfare (USD)
Denver to San Diego (DEN to SAN)
- Cheapest Air Tickets from Denver: January followed by November and February.
- Costliest Air Tickets from Denver: July and December
- Moderate Air Tickets from Denver: November, April, May and June
- Airfare (USD)
Chicago to San Diego (ORD to SAN)
- Cheapest Air Tickets from Chicago: February followed by January, April, May and November
- Costliest Air Tickets from Chicago: December
- Average Fare from Chicago: June to September
- Airfare (USD)
New York to San Diego (JFK to SAN)
- Cheapest Air Tickets from New York: Between January and May
- Costliest Air Tickets from New York: December (Festive season triggers)
- Average Fare from San Diego: July to September
- Airfare (USD)
Note: Last Monday of every month for one-way fare for American Airlines as found on Nov 1, 2019. Average of August and September fares is taken for that of September’s. Fares not available for October as the airline has only 331 days of advance reservation window.
When is the best time to book the cheapest flight to San Diego?
Fare trends over a year shows that booking an airline tickets at least eight to twelve weeks ahead of the scheduled departure helps you save. Booking your tickets too early (before six months) doesn’t make any big difference. However, in the wake up of a big festival or event like Thanksgiving, Cyber Monday, Good Friday, Christmas, New Year, etc. you should confirm your reservation at your earliest. Airlines know the trend, and make no mistake in capitalizing in on the demand. For example, in the trends above all fares for December (Departure date: December 30), fares show an unexpected high, the reason being New Year Eve celebration.
Airports in San Diego, California
- San Diego International Airport
San Diego International Airport (SAN)
Formerly known as Lindbergh Field, San Diego International Airport is an international airport 3 mi (4.8 km) northwest of Downtown San Diego, California. While primarily serving domestic traffic, San Diego has nonstop international flights to Canada, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.
Ranking of airlines operating at SAN by passenger traffic share
- Southwest (38.81%)
- United (12.29%)
- Delta (11.36%)
- American (11.22%)
- Alaska (10.16%)
- Other (16.16%)
Ranking of airlines by passenger traffic share
- San Francisco (CA), SFO
- Denver (CO), DEN
- Seattle (WA), SEA
- Phoenix (AZ), PHX
- San Jose (CA), SJC
- Las Vegas (NV), LAS
- Sacramento (CA), SMF
- Dallas (TX), DFW
- Chicago (IL), ORD
- Oakland (CA), OAK
Cheapest Airline to Fly to San Diego
No LCCs (Low Cost Carriers) operate flight directly to San Diego. Use our flight booking website to check fares with multiple carriers operating from your departure city or airport.
Flight Distance and Time to San Diego
|Flights to San Diego||Flight Distance||Flight Time||Time Difference|
|HNL to SAN||2,583 miles/4157 km||5 hours 7 minutes||SAN is 3 hours ahead|
|ANC to SAN||2,375 miles/3823 km||5 hours 15 minutes||SAN is 1 hour ahead|
|LAX to SAN||109 miles/176 km||30 minutes||No difference|
|DEN to SAN||852 miles/1372 km||1 hour 58 minutes||SAN is 1 hour behind|
|ORD to SAN||1,723 miles/2773 km||3 hours 48 minutes||SAN is 2 hours behind|
|JFK to SAN||2,446 miles/3936 km||5 hours 22 minutes||SAN is 3 hours behind|
Top Attractions in San Diego
Balboa Park is a 1,200-acre (490 ha) urban cultural park that attracts and amuses adults as well as families visiting San Diego with kids. Have encounters with nature, science and culture being at Balboa Park. In addition to open space areas, natural vegetation zones, green belts, gardens, and walking paths, it has 16 museums, multiple theaters, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
The park houses various themed gardens including:
- 1935 (Old) Cactus Garden
- Alcazar Garden
- Australian Garden
- Botanical Building
- California Native Plant Garden
- Casa del Rey Moro Garden
- Desert Garden
- Florida Canyon Native Plant Preserve
- Marston House Garden
- George Washington Carver Children’s Ethnobotany Garden
- Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden
- Japanese Friendship Garden
- Lily Pond
- Palm Canyon
- Trees for Health Garden
- Veterans Memorial Garden
- Zoro Garden
Most of the top attractions of San Diego or California are part of Balboa Park:
- Balboa Park Carousel
- Balboa Park Miniature Railroad (16 in (406 mm) gauge
- Balboa Stadium
- Casa del Prado (home of San Diego Youth Symphony)
- House of Pacific Relations International Cottages
- Marie Hitchcock Puppet Theater
- Old Globe Theatre
- San Diego Junior Theatre
- San Diego Mineral and Gem Society
- San Diego Zoo
- Spanish Village Art Center
- Spreckels Organ Pavilion
- Starlight Bowl
- WorldBeat Cultural Center
SeaWorld San Diego
If you are in San Diego with kids, SeaWorld San Diego is the place to be. SeaWorld San Diego is an animal theme park, oceanarium, outside aquarium and marine mammal park, in San Diego inside Mission Bay Park. It hosts shows, exhibits (Explorer’s Reef, Dolphins, Killer whales, Wild Arctic, Seals & Sea Lions), rides and roller coasters (Electric Eel, Journey to Atlantis, Mako, Manta, and Tidal Twister). Need to experience unique Christmas celebrations? San Diego is one of the best places to visit in December. Glistening treetops, light shows, lively events, ice-skating shows, and great foods mark the celebration. The celebration stats usually a month ahead of the Christmas Day. This year it starts on November and ends on January 5.
USS Midway Museum
Explore the heroic endeavors of The USS Midway, the United States’ longest-serving aircraft carrier from 1945 to 1992. The carrier is now a museum. You might be wondering as how big this aircraft carrier is? How many aircrafts it can hold at a time? What important missions did it serve in the history of America? Get all your queries answered. Go with the a self-guided audio tour, narrated by former Midway sailors to more than 60 locations, including sleeping quarters, engine room, galley, bridge, brig, post office, foc’s’le, pilots’ ready rooms, officers quarters, primary flight control, and “officers country”. You can climb-aboard aircraft and cockpits.
Mission Beach is San Diego’s lively take on the classic boardwalk beach town. The beach features nearly two miles of oceanfront boardwalk, numerous rental shops and Belmont Park, a boardwalk amusement park, featuring the Giant Dipper Roller Coaster, originally built in 1925 but since restored, the Beach House Grill, miniature golf, bumper cars, rock climbing and an arcade.
- Visiting Belmont Park – roller coaster, bumper cars, arcade
- Surfing, boogie boarding, kite boarding
- Swimming, but in designated areas in the summer. Watch for signs.
- Fishing off of the Mission Bay jetty
- Walking, jogging and bicycling on the boardwalk